>Construction of 6 water wells to supply drinking water
Beneficiaries: 2,850 people (570 families)
Total input: €14,306
Carried out by: A Glimmer of Hope / Tigray Relief Society
• A substantial improvement in health by eliminating the consumption of contaminated water, the primary cause of disease in this region.
• A reduced work load for women and the possibility of dedicating themselves to more productive tasks.
• An increase of 5% in the school attendance rate of girls, as they no longer have to spend their time collecting water.
• An increase in the consumption of water per person from 5 to 15 litres a day.
• A reduction in the time taken to collect water from 2 hours to 20 minutes (and changing from contaminated water sources to drinking water sources).
In the end the number of beneficiaries of the project was greater than expected: a total of 3,560, one of which was Mrs Zafu Birhane.